Wednesday, April 16, 2008

[BONUS] Irish Folk Music Concert

I just returned from a concert performed by two Irish folk singers: Mairtin de Cogain and Jimmy Crowley. The music was very pleasant and I had a great time. The concert was held outdoors in the Shell and the weather was perfect. I expected more decorations for the event, but the layout of the stage was very simplistic--two microphone stands, two speakers, and an Irish flag. This layout facilitated enjoying the music without being distracted by visuals, which was nice.

Mr. de Cogain played an instrument I had never seen before; it resembled a tambourine without the bells and is played using something similar to a drumstick. The music was very relaxing and a few of the songs were funny. One song was about a female character who nagged too much and was drowned in the river for being a neusance. My personal favorite was about a woman named Maria de la Rosa. She is described as having green eyes and red hair, and as their singing created a beautiful mental image for me. I laughed when they said that she sings in Spanish, given the Irish theme of the event. I also enjoyed de Cogain's description of Ireland's geography--it is a big, fuzzy, green teddy bear lying down on its right side. Each time he provided the origin of one of the songs he would point to the part of his body that represents its location on the bear, err....country.

I am very glad that I attended this event as it was more entertaining than anything else I would have done. Also, this opportunity does not present itself often so I feel blessed to have been part of the audience. Now my desire to visit Ireland is greater than ever before!

No comments: